Monday, September 28, 2020

River of the Damned

 I set downstream into a 10 mph headwind.  This is the big river again, in fact, I'm just a few miles upstream of my last outing and this is another section of the river that I've not paddled before.  I'm heading down to the top of Gildersleeve Island, which was my high point on the last trip.

I follow close the right shore, and to hide as best I can from the wind I stay under the tree limbs when I can.  There is a "dike" of milfoil parallel to the bank where the depth is just right for it to grow.  It blocks the chop and creates a narrow path of smooth water.  

This section of river is a mix of flood plain and forested valley sides.  But, as with the downstream section that I last paddled there are few houses intruding on the shoreline.  In the first mile are a few dilapidated industrial wharves.  They are remains from when barges were used on the river, which wasn't too long ago.

The other oddity in this reach of the river is that every half hour I come across a wrecked boat.  The first is an upside down 17 foot skiff that looks like it has been here since spring.  Next is a sailboat that probably blew loose from its moorings as the rigging, broken spar and mast, and outboard motor are still present.  A tree has fallen on the aft section resulting in the hull being crushed and broken in two.  The third is across the river and on my return I find it to be an upside down 20 ft. inboard-outboard speedboat.  It is the newest of the wrecks by a long shot.

Just short of reaching Gildersleeve Island I flush an immature Bald Eagle from the trees overhead.  I spot a mature Eagle in a dead snag on the island as I cross.  Another mature Eagle flies in as I head back upriver.

Bald Eagle #4

I follow the left bank back up.  I pass the upside down speedboat, spot another mature Bald Eagle, spot the nest nearby, then another Eagle, and then another.  Six for the day.


No comments: