Wednesday, January 15, 2020

The Bridges

The wind is stronger than the weather service predicted.  I expected a rather mild 7 mph breeze but here in the open land of the marsh it feels about double of that.  Anyway, it is not so strong as to be a problem and while it is in my face as I head out, the flood tide is at my back.

The Railroad Bridge
So, I grind up the river into the headwind.  I'll rest when I get to my turn around point as resting on the way in means losing ground.  I flush a couple Buffleheads in the firs bend and spot a mature Bald Eagle perched on Cedar Island.  Bird life is rather sparse today - a few Black Ducks at the first Big Bend and a small flock of Canada Geese at the second Big Bend, three Kingfishers along the way and a few Crows. 
The Post Road Bridge
The wind turns out to be less than enthusiastic.  Anytime I am near a stand of trees or bit of high ground the wind gives up.
The highway bridge

It is work up through the marsh but a feeling of being embraced comes to me as I pass through the Arch Bridge.  Here is where the forest starts, here is where the horizons move close and I am surrounded by the hardwood forest and the historical features that lie within.  Out of view to my left is the remains of the Parmalee Sawmill dam.  To my right, through the bare underbrush is the stone wall that contains the smallpox cemetery.  Ahead is the early 19th century farmhouse.  Soon, I will be at Foote Bridge, which once was the ford where the stagecoaches would cross the river. 
The Arch Bridge

It is an easy return.  The wind has dropped some, but it is also on my back.  The day has warmed as if the golden colors of the marsh are embers.  I pass a boat tied off to the Post Road Bridge.  The occupants don't notice me.  The diver they are supposed to be watching out for spies me first, surfacing between the bridge pilings where they must be doing an inspection.
Foote Bridge - the old stagecoach crossing

I take the Sneak over to Bailey Creek and finish via the Neck River.

No comments: