Wednesday, May 16, 2018

First Wren Nest


I wouldn't have seen it if the owner had not been so proud of his creation.  I detoured the canoe over to the edge of the cattails and there it was, the first wren nest of the season.  It was built low, the cattails still less than thigh high.  The owner continued to call out while remaining hidden somewhere in the tangle of last years growth.  I paddle on, he has somewhere between 4-14 more nests to build if he is to attract a mate.  I spot 2 more nests just above the Stone Arch bridge.  The vegetation isn't yet high enough for nesting below that spot.
Wren nest
I started up top in the forest, a strategy to take advantage of the higher than average tide.  There was more water in the river than usual, the front of the tide having not arrived yet.  Yesterdays blast of thunderstorms is showing in an extra six inches of water.  I ease over the shallow spots with no trouble.

Entering the Gravel Flats
I spotted a Bald Eagle at the Gravel Flats and it remained perched as I went by.

There is a gentle breeze with an overcast sky.  All in all it is quite pleasant.  Redwing Blackbirds, Wrens and Osprey contribute greatly to the soundscape.  Above the stone arch bridge the cattails are knee high, below the spartina has greened and reached a height that is equal to a lawn needing mowing.

I spot the first Willet at the Big Bends.  They are much calmer today than they have been and I suppose that their territorial and mating activities are settled.  Only when I am halfway through the sneak does a Willet take offense at my presence.  It takes me half a minute to spot the bird even though it has been nonstop calling out warnings - their camouflage is quite effective unless they spread their wings.

I spot a flock of flyng birds a few hundred yards off in the lower marsh.  They turn out to be Black Bellied Plovers.

I return up the main river and take out just before it starts to rain.

No comments: