Thursday, March 29, 2018

First Osprey Sighting, and the Second Osprey Sighting

My coworker, looking at a 3x3x8 ft bundle of hardwood flooring says, "Who put that there?"
I answer, "I don't know."
"Where did it come from?"
"It was there when I came in."
He is beginning to transition into fire drill behavior....anxious for the purpose of being anxious.
"This is unacceptable."
"...I agree."
"People can't walk up to our desk with this here."
"...Yes, you're right."
He scurries off somewhere.  I clock out and go canoeing.
Just short of the second bend in the river a familiar whistling, a whistling that I've not heard recently, catches my ear.  In a tree some 200 yards across the spartina marsh is perched an Osprey.  It is my first Osprey sighting of this year.

There is an Osprey nest platform at the third bend.  From a few hundred yards out I detect something out of place.  It is my second Osprey sighting of this year.

Whether these two nest in this are or not, I have no way of knowing.  Given that an awful lot of Osprey have to pass by to places farther north during the spring migration, it seems more likely than not that they are just pausing here.  I am passing through as well.

The tide is falling, the predicted sun has been superseded by a low thick overcast.  I set my camera to shoot in sepia tone.  There is little color, so color seems pointless.  Black and white is for the man-made, or perhaps glaciers, mountains or canyons.  I never liked the way forests or marshes looked in black and white...it was if there was no life.  The sepia brings out a warmth that reminds me of how much life is present in the marsh.

At the upper Big Bend I spot a Red Throated Loon.  It dives to evade surfacing another hundred yards ahead.  Five times this repeats.  Then it lets me close to about 50 yards.  It dives and surfaces behind me.
Duck Hole Farms
I turn back when I get to the Duck Hole Farms.  I know that at this very low tide I will run out of water in about 400 yards at the spot I call the Gravel Flats.  I play the same game with the Loon on my way out.  At the second bend of the Big Marsh I find a second Loon.  We play the same evasion game.  But, instead of diving to come up behind me, this Loon takes wing, which is rather rare.  It speeds, really speeds inches off the water.  Arrow like with the wing tips tapping the surface.  And it is gone.
The Sneak at very low tide (impassable)


No comments: