Sunday, December 1, 2013

Wintering Loons

By the time I got to the middle of Calf Pen Bay, I'd seen four loons.  They outnumbered all birds, even the gulls, which is unheard of, until I spotted a half dozen buffleheads - a tuxedo'd bird that, to the eye, seems just one or two turns of a double helix short of a puffin.  As I neared the next point, I spotted two more loons, evening the score.  The last two tremolo'd back and forth a few times, taking the victory. 


High tide has passed by an hour and a half and so, I bust the ebb flow into Gulf Pond climbing a visually obvious slope in the water under the rusty bridge.  I have seen a dozen loons total, the last just outside the pond.  A great blue heron makes use of the vacated osprey next box that rises up out of the marsh grasses that've gone gold - bringing a warmth to the air if only through the eyes.  The hot blueberry soup that I packed from home gets poured.  The day is fine.



Blueberry Soup 
serve hot or cold or warm.
4 cups of water
3 cups of blueberries (frozen or fresh, it makes no difference)
1/2 to 3/4 cup of sugar
Mix the berries with the sugar. 
Boil the water.
Add the berries and return to a boil
simmer until the berries are tender
can be thickened with a bit of potato starch if
one gives a shit about texture...the flavor will be
the same.

No comments: