Saturday, January 17, 2009

Sun Brings the Old Tars Out


Made art with a full head of steam all morning, but when the sun showed up for the first time in many days, it was lake time. It was calm and in the 40's, but the sun makes it feel warmer. I didn't see the eagles at all today, they may have eaten early. The swans were out, looks like they are here for the winter. The ducks are hanging in mid-bay, where the eagles can't use the cattails to sneak up on them. I headed straight across the bay to retrieve a 40 gallon garbage can that has been annoying me for some time. Once I had the garbage can, I decided I might as well fill it up, so I spent half of my lake time walking drift logs and fetching foam, bottles and cans. The old tars were out in their big motorboats, it being a Saturday and sunny. You have to watch out for them, their not like the pros that drive tugs and fishing boats. The pro boat drivers always seem to have eye contact with me when they are near - the amateurs rarely turn their heads at all, except perhaps to pour a drink. You know, it's a rare known fact, but Captain Ahab never went whaling when it was cloudy. Still, it was a fine day to put a paddle to the water.

No comments: